How do I help children who think they don't need to know math, still learn math and have fun doing it?

Course Queries Syllabus Queries 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Syllabus Queries related to Course Queries. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

I am teaching mathematics for students from elementary school to senior high school. I advise the students to learn mathematics (as the language of nature) as well as English (as the international language), sciences and computer programming.

The students often think they won't need the mathematics. I tell them that mathematics will train their ways to think, to struggle, to solve the problems which are directly related to mathematics or not. IMHO, learning mathematics builds our intelligence and only consuming healthy food will not make us intelligent!

Another advantage of having a good skill in math is to have a broader chance to take field of study and get a job. But how do I motivate the kids to learn mathematics in terms that will excite them?

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

I actually assissted in a math classroom for one of my internships to become a teacher. My lead teacher pretty much handed over the control of her "resource class" (those are generally the kids that have the hardest time with math, hate it, and think they don't need it) What I did with them that worked really well, was to present them with a project that required them to research their intended career field and find the math they WOULD need to use for that career (I seriously cannot think of a single career that would require absolutley no math at all - and even IF there was one out there, there is still shopping to do which involves adding, subtracting and using percentages at least).

It simply eliminated the argument, "but I won't need math."

Additionally, I talked to them about how there is an element of "learning to learn" involved.

Then, I did my best to make the learning fun and relevant as much as possible, games, graphing stats about the popular movie that was out, doing surveys and calculating facts and figures related to the survey outcomes . . .

Since you are advising and not actually doing the teaching, I understand the actual classroom apporoach is probably largely out of your control - using this approach might be somewhat difficult. However, I think the general idea still applies. Sit down with them and talk about their career plans and which math it is they will need to use for that career. Say all the things you are already saying. Play a game of poker (for cookies or something) with them and talk about how understanding probablilities helps their game. Then, if they don't take your advice - unfortunately, there probably isn't a lot more you can do for them. They'll miss out and either learn they are missing out, or maybe it won't be a big deal for them later (that will all depend on the individual).

Good Luck!

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community