Mathematical prerequisites for beginning graduate student in robotics

Course Queries Syllabus Queries 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Syllabus Queries related to Course Queries. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

A beginning graduate student in robotics asked me the areas of mathematics that he should brush up on (prerequisites) to begin a masters research program in robotics. What are some good materials/books that are indispensable for a research student? Which ones should we suggest in order that the student develops a solid foundation in robotics?

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

Other answers are correct: It depends on where you are focusing, and what your topic will be. However, there are some common themes. I would say that a minor in mathematics from a decent university should cover the bases.

I would strongly recommend the following, based on my experience:

1. Linear Algebra, at least one or two semesters. Plan on taking refresher courses and specializing if necessary. Because robots operate in the world, and the world is defined by coordinate frames, knowing something about matrix multiplication, inverses, rank, affine and projective transformations, etc is extremely helpful.
  2. Calculus, at least 3 semesters.
  3. Some numerical analysis, because robots use computers.
  4. Probabilities and Statistics, at least 1 semester, though this is becoming increasingly important

For my subfield (Algorithmic Robotics), the following things are very helpful:

1. Algorithms and Data Structures, at least 2 semesters
  2. Formal Theory of Computation (Hardness and mappings of problems), at least one semester
  3. Matrix Theory, (another semester of a specialized linear algebra)
  4. Discrete Math (graphs, counting and enumueration), at least 1 semester,

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community