What are some good classical pieces to start learning analysis for the beginner?

Course Queries Syllabus Queries 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Syllabus Queries related to Course Queries. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

I'm in Piano grade 7 Royal Conservatory of Music and I'm finding Analysis to be quite challenging. I have no problem reading the music but if I really want to be able to learn a piece well I have to learn how to analyze pieces and keep in mind or the underlying harmony. The thing is, I can't really figure out the underlying harmony because I can't do things like distinguishing between chord tones and non-chord tones and with modulations. does anyone have suggestions on books, videos, guides on harmonic analysis and some good pieces to start practicing with?

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

I know how expensive textbooks are, but I genuinely think a great textbook is the best answer to your question. Probably my favorite textbook for straightforward learning outside of a class environment is the text by Aldwell and Schachter called Harmony and Voice Leading. However, it's probably the most difficult standard text and might be better after you've already learned some details from elsewhere. A somewhat simpler, but still great, textbook is Clendinning and Marvin's Musician's Guide to Theory and Analysis.

As far as some pieces that are somewhat easier to do an analysis of due to relative lack of non-chord tones and chromaticism, you might try the beginnings of Bach's first prelude from the first book of the Well-Tempered Clavier and Beethoven's so-called Moonlight Sonata, but even those will have the occasional moment that takes further study to understand.

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community