Unreachable code, but reachable with exception

General Tech Bugs & Fixes . 2 years ago

0   3   0   0   0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 5 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Bugs & Fixes related to General Tech. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Write Your Comments or Explanations to Help Others

Tuteehub forum answer Answers (3)

profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

This code is part of an application that reads from and writes to an ODBC connected database. It creates a record in the database and then checks if a record has been successfully created, then returning true.

My understanding of control flow is as follows:

command.ExecuteNonQuery() is documented to throw an InvalidOperationException when "a method call is invalid for the object's current state". Therefore, if that would happen, execution of the try block would stop, the finally block would be executed, then would execute the return false; at the bottom.

However, my IDE claims that the return false; is unreachable code. And it seems to be true, I can remove it and it compiles without any complaints. However, for me it looks as if there would be no return value for the code path where the mentioned exception is thrown.

private static bool createRecord(String table, 
                                 IDictionary<String,String> data, 
                                 System.Data.IDbConnection conn, 
                                 OdbcTransaction trans) {

[... some other code ...]

int returnValue = 0;
    try {
        command.CommandText = sb.ToString();
        returnValue = command.ExecuteNonQuery();

return returnValue == 1;
    } finally {
        command.Dispose();
    }

return false;
}

What is my error of understanding here?

0 views   0 shares
profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

When the exception is thrown, the stack will unwind (execution will move out of the function) without returning a value, and any catch block in the stack frames above the function will catch the exception instead.

Hence, return false will never execute.

Try manually throwing an exception to understand the control flow:

try {
    command.CommandText = sb.ToString();
    returnValue = command.ExecuteNonQuery();

// Try this.
    throw new Exception("See where this goes.");

return returnValue == 1;
} finally {
    command.Dispose();
}

0 views   0 shares

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

You have two return paths in your code, the second of which is unreachable because of the first. The last statement in your try block return returnValue == 1; provides your normal return, so you can never reach the return false; at the end of the method block.

FWIW, order of exection related to the finally block is: the expression supplying the return value in the try block will be evaluated first, then the finally block will be executed, and then the calculated expression value will be returned (inside the try block).

Regarding flow on exception... without a catch, the finally will be executed upon exception before the exception is then rethrown out of the method; there is no "return" path.

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community