Single developer process/practice/infrastructure recommendations

General Tech Learning Aids/Tools 2 years ago

0 1 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Learning Aids/Tools related to General Tech. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (1)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

So, I'm about to embark on a fairly lengthy, time consuming project that could net me some good results/rewards - and I'd like to give everything the attention and focus it deserves. I will be the sole developer, and I'm experienced in that capacity (about 13 years in the industry). I've just never had to be responsible for EVERY choice so I'd like to throw this out there for some feedback. This is going to be a website.

Dev Tools on Win x64 workstation:

• VS2010
  • SourceGear Client
  • FileZilla
  • UltraEdit
  • SQL 2008 Mgmt Studio

I will have my own DB Server machine also, which will run SQL 2008 for both the web DB and will host the Soucegear repository DB.

I'd like to have an automated build process that includes

• pulling the latest code from the repository
  • checking it against rules (ala FX Cop)
  • compile the code
  • running a series of tests against the new compilation (unit tests?)

Any suggestion on tools to do these tasks? Should I just write & execute scripts to do certain steps?

Backups! - I'd like the source code repository and web files, graphics, media, etc. for the site backed up regularly. I use Mozy for my own personal backups - is there something more suitable for this kind of backup? Windows Home Server or something like that perhaps?

Lastly - what am I not thinking of that needs to be on my radar? For example, I plan on using jQuery but only have limited experience with it - any good javascript tools besides VS2010? How to most web devs test their sites across the plethora of browsers available? Should I use minify-ing tools for the web content - which are best? I've built plenty of web sites & applications before - this is just my first real "commercial" venture and I'd like it be founded in solid practices.

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community