Should I list a technology blog on my resume?

General Tech Technology & Software 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Technology & Software related to General Tech. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

I have a personal technology blog that I am considering putting on my resume.

The blog mainly contains technology articles about WPF/MVVM, which is the sort of work I am going to be looking for. Typically I would never link to a personal blog on a professional resume, but in this case I'm considering it.

Should I list a technology blog on a technical resume?

And if so, how? I have considered just leaving a link to it up with my contact information, but that leaves no context. The alternative is to mention it somewhere else in my resume, and expect them to ask for it. Or maybe do both.

The draft of my resume currently has a "Skill Summary" section, which includes

Other
Active teaching others in the programming community, experienced managing a small team, author of a personal technology blog, fast and independent learner.

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

Should I list a technology blog on a technical resume?

If you are proud of the contents of your blog, and it is relevant to the kinds of positions you are seeking, then yes, I think you should list your blog on your resume.

Hiring managers like me often want to hire people who care passionately about their profession. A blog relating to that profession is a nice way to demonstrate your care and interest. When hiring (and I've been hiring technology people for many years), this is exactly the kind of "extra" that attracts my attention.

Take special care that everything on your blog is presentable. If I were considering hiring you, and I started to read the blog you directed me to, I wouldn't want to see rants against your employer, pages full of misspellings or poor grammar, cheesy ads, an old, out-of-date site, or a site which emphasized pictures of cats. I'd want to see something that tells me the kind of professional you would be if I hired you.

Even if you don't list it on your resume, there's a good chance the hiring company will discover it anyway. I know that I always do a Google search on candidates, and see what kind of public postings they make. You'll want to try that yourself, and see how potential employers might view the results.

And if so, how?

I think you are exactly right to refer to it in an "Other" section. Another alternative would be to include it in a "Publications" section, if you have one. You should spell out the URL for your blog, rather than just using a hyperlink. Documents like resumes are passed around in many formats (paper, plain text, etc) - some of which don't support hyperlinks. Spelling the URL of the blog out ensures that it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

Be prepared to discuss your blog further, should you be brought in for an interview. It could easily catch an interviewer's attention, and would be a great opportunity for you to expand on the subject.

Good luck!

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community