Technology options: long-running process with feedback (think progress bar)?

General Tech Technology & Software 2 years ago

0 1 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Technology & Software related to General Tech. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (1)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

The easiest way to think about my problem is that I want to show a client a progress bar with a cancel button. We do this today for think clients using SignalR, but now we need something similar for a thick client.

I have a long-running process (typically a minute or two, but might take up to an hour) on my server. I want my thick client to be able to interact with it in two ways: 1) I want the server sending progress updates back to the client, 2) I want the client to be able to cancel the process. There are, of course, a number of ways of doing this. In fact, I've done this in multiple ways myself. So, I'm not looking specifically for a solution. I'm trying to understand which would be the best choice of technology knowing Microsoft's (and the industry's) direction in the future.

Here are three possibilities that spring to mind (feel free to add more):

1. Traditional WCF (emulating even older "Remoting"): good choice (and would probably be my default) except that it sounds like MS will not be supporting WCF in .NET Core on the server (apart from open-source community-driven libraries).
  2. Azure Service Bus using queues or topics: workable and resilient, but possibly a bit more complexity/effort/code to implement.
  3. gRPC: it seems this is the direction MS would have us go in replacing WCF/Remoting, but it's still only in the previews.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks!

P.S. If you can think of any other good places to post this question, please let me know.

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community