Can I still negotiate a job offer if HR is stonewalling the department head?

Interviews General Queries 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on General Queries related to Interviews. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

I'm a college senior and I'm applying for my first full-time position. I recently got an offer for around $70k for a data analyst position. HR initially told me that the salary was negotiable, so I submitted a letter of justification (per their instructions) with my desired salary. According to a friend who works there, the head of the department thinks I'm the best candidate for the job and went to HR to get approval for the higher offer.

However, this made HR very upset for some unknown reason, and HR stonewalled them. I then received a phone call from HR telling me that they are no longer willing to negotiate salary, and I also only have till the end of the week to give them an answer. I explained to them that I'm in the interview process for other companies and will need more time than the end of the week, but they seem extremely resistant to giving me any more time and essentially told me that they'll call again on Friday, and if I still haven't made a decision, I can turn down the offer (although they implied there's a chance they might revisit an extension when the time comes).

Is there anything I can do at this point to get a better initial offer? My friend told me that he got a significantly higher offer after negotiating for the same position last year, so it seems that I've just gotten caught at the butt-end of interdepartmental drama. It definitely sounds like the department head really wants to hire me, so would it be wise to email them directly? Perhaps I could get them to push harder on HR to get approval for the salary if they know that I'm inclined to turn down their offer. I'm worried that dealing with HR further won't go anywhere since HR won't be negatively affected if the other department loses me.

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

If that company is bullying you even BEFORE you are their employee, that tells a lot about them and about your expected life if you are unlucky to get there.

I had the same experience. What is "best" (in my case) is that the same company tried to get me as an employee several times, each time applying another strategy of bullying. I never accepted / swallowed their attitude, not even when I really needed a new job.

Short answer: STAY AWAY!! There are many fish(es) in the pond.

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community