Consequences for contractor of bypassing recruitment agency [closed]

Interviews General Queries . 2 years ago

0   2   0   0   0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 5 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on General Queries related to Interviews. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Write Your Comments or Explanations to Help Others

Tuteehub forum answer Answers (2)

profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

I have given a recruitment agency in the UK permission to represent me with a previous employer of mine, a company which I worked for and left 2 years ago.

The recruitment agency introduced me to the company and they saw on my CV that I had already worked for them, and decided to contact me directly as they had my details on file.

This company I worked for ended up making an offer and I accepted it, knowing we were bypassing the recruitment agency because I was already known to the them (the company).

The recruitment agency is threatening to take legal action against the company and advising me that I shouldn't accept the role as to avoid getting involved in this legal mess. I believe they might be trying to scare me and put pressure on me to persuade the company use the recruiters and pay the feeds. The company, however, is relaxed and said the situation is not unheard of, and there is nothing for me to worry about.

My question is - what I am liable for by accepting this role directly from the company, when I have given the recruitment agency the right to represent me with them (albeit informally and only be email)?

Am I likely to find myself in legal trouble for simply accepting the role?

Not sure how much difference it makes, but I have not worked with the recruitment agency before and it was them who approached me. Also, I'm a contractor, operating through my limited company.

Thanks in advance!

0 views   0 shares
profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

You are unlikely to face any real consequences legally.

Most companies include in their contract with outside staffing agencies that the company has no claims about previous or current employees that they present to the company, or candidates that have been presented to them by other means in the last 12 months(this number varies). Assuming you advised the recruiter of the fact that you had worked for this company previously, then the staffing agency is probably having little or no claim against the company.

However, accepting the position will probably burn the bridge with the staffing agency. If you are in a market with many agencies, and this agency is not a particularly generous with their remuneration, this is probably not a big deal. If they are one of the better companies to work with you may want to consider taking some action to keep your relationship with the agency on good terms.

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community