I have a very weak connection at the company I'm interviewing at. Should I get in touch?

Interviews General Queries . 2 years ago

0   2   0   0   0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 5 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on General Queries related to Interviews. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Write Your Comments or Explanations to Help Others

Tuteehub forum answer Answers (2)

profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

Hoping someone here can share some advice regarding my situation.

I applied to company X a couple weeks ago. I found out after I sent my application that I had been introduced to the team's supervisor a year ago over email when I was an undergraduate student. At the time, I had asked her if there were any internships available and she (very nicely and apologetically) said no. I never had a phone call with her or met her in person.

Naturally, after I found out she was the team lead for this vacancy, I sent her an email to reconnect, saying I had now graduated and applied for this opening on her team. She sent me a simple "I'll keep an eye out for your application!"

A couple weeks pass, and I had an interview with HR that went very well. The HR rep just told me that it's down to me and an internal candidate, and that the team lead AKA "my weak connection" is going to have the final say as to whether I am brought in for an in-person meeting. The HR rep said I am a perfect fit for the role, but I have to be aware that internal candidates">candidates are given priority.

Should I reach out to my weak connection? After all, the fate of my application rests in her hands. I'm very conflicted because I have already let her know I applied for the position and she may not want to be bothered a second time. She also might not appreciate the intel that the HR rep shared with me regarding the internal candidate too. But, I'm also worried that she's thinking, "Well he knows me by name and email, why hasn't he reached out? If he's not making the extra effort, maybe I should stick with the internal hire."

Still, she's barely a connection as we've never even spoken over the phone. I might still be another stranger to her.

I know I'm over-analyzing this. I appreciate any advice that someone can offer! This is absolutely my dream job, and I don't want to blow my chance

0 views   0 shares
profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

I would just stick to the official process. If HR has not sent an email to you with your 'weak connection' in copy, then do not contact her at this point. As far as she is concerned, she does not know that you know she is the hiring manager. You could think some one else is hiring for that role and not your connection. I do not think your prospective boss will be offended by the fact that your did not reach out to her again.

You did everything right so far in maintaining a weak connection and you made it to the final stage of hiring pretty much on your own. Just wait and see how it turns out.

When you are officially introduced via email or personal meeting, then you can remind her you are the same person who had contacted her some time back.

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community