I have two job offers - one verbal and one written [closed]

Interviews General Queries . 2 years ago

0   2   0   0   0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 5 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on General Queries related to Interviews. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Write Your Comments or Explanations to Help Others

Tuteehub forum answer Answers (2)

profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

I'm in a bit of sticky situation. But I'll try my best to explain.

Let's call company A - the one I really want to work for and company B - my backup choice.

Back in April, I was let go from my previous job. I left a company I was working for 3 years to pursue new opportunities. After 7 mo of working, my position was eliminated after re-structuring the department I was working in.

My available date isn't until mid July due to personal reasons.

After searching for my next opportunities in May

• May 22 - 1st interview with Comp A
  • May 29 - Skype interview with Comp B
  • June 3 - In-person interview with Comp B
  • June 7 - 2nd interview with Comp A
  • June 8 - 3rd interview + Job shadowing with Comp B
  • June 9 - Comp B verbally offered me a job and asked me to make my decision by Tuesday - but I asked them to send me the written offer letter before I decide on anything.
  • June 12 - I called Comp A and let them know that they are my 1st choice but I have a verbal job offer from somewhere else. The manager of the position called me back 2 hrs later. The manager told me that they believe I'm the right candidate and strongly expressed their interest in hiring me. He also said if everything goes how he wants, he will call me back on Wednesday with the offer.

• June 13 - Comp B called and told me that there is a delay in written offer due to General Manger being on holidays.

• June 14 - Comp A called and told me that I am the chosen candidate for the position - They apologies for not having the written offer - but HR will send me the written offer by Friday and the manager informed me that he's going on holidays until the following week.
  • June 15 - I called Comp A HR and asked details of the offer. She gave me further information on my salary, vacation, stats holidays, retirement plans, benefits, etc. again she apologized that "it so happened to be a bad timing atm because all the new positions need to be approved by HR headquarters. She said she put my job offer as a "critical" as the candidate has another offer. She said written offer is ready, but can't send it to me until the HQ approves and the latest update she has is 'HQ said they will approve by end of the day so it can be sent the next day (Friday)'

• June 16th Friday - no written offer from both companies

• June 19th Monday - received a written offer from Comp B and I sent a follow up email to Comp A.

The Comp A is a big organization with many deparments and the department that I'd be placed in has their own HR. I talked to the HR manager and she informed me that the offer isnt approved from HQ to be sent out yet. And because of the 2/4 quarters and the HQ is reviewing all the new positions, she said it's taking a lot longer. She also told me that the manager of my position is on holidays and even he's constantly checking in wih her to see if my offer approved. The position is needed for this company and she informed me if it disapproves, they have a back up plan for it to be approved. Moreover she said I'd be the first person for them to contact as soon as she hears anything back from the HQ and she'll contact the HQ again to see what the hold up is and if there is any chance of the position being disapproved. She said shemd let me know yesterday but I have not heard anything back...

I am probably over thinking and I'm worried about for whatever reason, the Comp A HQ will disapprove and the offer will be job rescinded. Logically, I understand the bigger the company, HR process takes a lot longer especially if it needs to be approved by the HQ. I have until this Friday to get back to Comp B (and they raised the salary by 5k than the original offer - but Comp A offers more and there is no commute).

I'm thinking I would wait few more days (until Thursday) and give Comp A a call if there is no further update on the approval process. If they assure me that it's coming and I have the job (which they did...) again - I'm thinking to decline the offer from Comp B.

The industry I'm in is very small and connected. I want to take the job at Comp B and accept when Comp A sends one later - However, because the industry is small, I don't want to burn bridges..

Any suggestion? am I overthinking the situation? Any thoughts appreciated.

TLDR - Two job offers - one verbal (written offer in a process of being approved by its head quarter) and one written. Stressed out because I want to work for the company that offered me the job verbally. However, written offer is taking longer than anticipated.

UPDATE: I decided to decline the offer from Company B morning of Friday. Then, Friday evening, Company A called to let me know that the position approved by the upper mansgement and they officially offered me the job!

0 views   0 shares
profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

You don't have 2 offers, you have 1 offer and someone trying to get approval for another. In reality there are a hundred reasons this can fall through.

You've already told them you have another offer pending. Are there enough good things about company A to risk losing the offer you do have? That's up to you.

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community