Salary vs Monitoring Hours [closed]

Interviews General Queries 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on General Queries related to Interviews. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

I just took this job and there are issues around my hours while being salary.

My boss told me in the interview that I would be hourly, and the schedule is not flexible. But upon hiring, the company made me Salary. In my offer letter they said that "..normal working hours are 8 to 5 Monday through Friday. However we reserve the right to change your hours as needed."

To me this does not say that I must be here at 8am sharp every day, and leave at 5pm, or that I need to request if I can do overtime hours or that I need to request if I want to start or continue my work at home or not.

But that aside, I had the feeling he was monitoring my hours, and sure enough he was.

On my second week on the job, I got in a bit of traffic and sent a text I would be a few minutes late. I was not late since, and came in 5 minutes early from then on. More than 2 weeks later, I had a meeting with him about some other issue. After sort of clearing that up, I tried to end the conversation with "Are we good now?"

He said "Yes." But then he says "Oh by the way, don't ever blame the traffic again."

After I asked him to repeat because I was confused. Then I realized he was talking about the day I came in a few minutes late more than 2 weeks before. He accused me of just oversleeping, and told me to come in 10 minutes early from now on.

So everyday I come in at 7:50am. Sometimes I pushed it to 7:57am to see if he says anything and he hasn't yet.

This is all sort of a buzzkill for me. I like to be passionate about my work, but this issue about my work hours as a salaried employee, being monitored like this, is really starting to eat away at me.

Is this even legal? I have been logging my hours now. I don't know what to do besides look for another job. I barely started here.

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

I think your question of whether monitoring you is legal or not is misplaced. Legality aside, your manager is treating you poorly. Even if the job has strict office hour requirements (which seems to be the case for you), the manager shouldn't treat you like a dog by accusing you of lying (especially after a single incident). If you already spent time working at home, you probably put in more than enough time to account for being late the one time.

Assuming you haven't left out any details, this seems like a company to leave sooner rather than later - clean up your resume, start looking and get out as soon as you can.

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community