Should I inform my employer of additional certifications I obtain that are not directly related to my position?

Interviews General Queries 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on General Queries related to Interviews. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

Should I inform my employer of additional certifications I obtain that are not directly related to my position?

Background: I am a software engineer. I graduated with a bachelor's degree within the past two years. I have recently been taking classes at some local universities and have obtained some technology certifications. These are legitimate certifications -- for example, the CompTIA Network+ certification -- but they are not related to my work or even the industry.

Am I hurting myself by not telling my employer about these certifications? I don't necessarily want to transition into a networking/IT role, which is what a number of my certifications are in. My employer doesn't even have an up-to-date resume on me. Generally speaking, should I keep my employer up to date with my education, etc?

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

I would disagree with your assessment that network training is not related to your work as a software engineer. While your current project might not involve any network dependent components, in our current world of web applications, service based applications and cloud infrastructures, there is likely to be networking involved in your application stack in the future. Just because you aren't writing low-level network api code doesn't mean networking knowledge isn't valuable. I am a software development manager and I would view network knowledge as valuable in a candidate for a software engineering job.

I would talk to your manager about your training and certificates. You should also be clear about whether or not you would like to take on projects in that direction. The fact that you are trying to broaden your knowledge base demonstrates positive traits to your manager and he/she should know about it.

Of course, this probably doesn't apply ballroom dancing certificates :), but I would suggest you take a wider view of what continuing education might be valuable and make you a more well rounded employee.

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community