How can I professionally resolve this disagreement about insurance liability with my company?

Interviews General Queries 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on General Queries related to Interviews. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

My company sent me to another state for 2 weeks and I was told to rent a car while I was there. Since our corporate credit cards had expired the week before, they told me to use my own credit card. They also said to decline the rental car insurance as it was covered under their corporate agreement.

I ended up getting into an accident (my fault) and totaled the car. It turns out my company did not realize that the rental car insurance applied to the corporate credit cards only. Therefore I totaled a car without insurance and was considered liable.

My employer is asking me to claim the car under my personal insurance policy, which would obviously increase my premium through the roof. I disagree with this since they sent me on a business related trip and told me to decline insurance since it was covered under their corporate agreement.

How can I professionally resolve this disagreement with the company? I'm not even sure where I should start.

I realize it may lead me parting ways with my company; however even if that's the case I still want to behave like a business professional in my interactions with them.

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

You wrote "Since our corporate credit cards had expired the week before, they told me to use my own credit card. They also said to decline the rental car insurance as it was covered under their corporate agreement."

How did they tell you this, do you have it in writing? If so, I imagine you have a very good leg to stand on, that you just followed orders and therefore the company is liable. Even if not, you still have a good argument, especially if the person who instructed you is willing to admit it / unable to refute it.

I suggest communicating with your insurance company about the situation - speak in hyptotheticals until you're ready to file a claim. Since chances are they would rather not pay and raise your premiums, they may go to bat for you against your employer regarding liability, and they likely have the lawyer resources to get it resolved quickly in your favor.

Ultimately this battle is between your insurer and your employer (your premiums increasing is just collateral damage), and if your insurer turns out to be strong and gets your employer to admit liability after gathering the facts, your employer shouldn't hold that against you.

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community