Why is a voided blank check necessary to setup direct deposit if I've already provided my routing and account numbers? [closed]

Interviews General Queries 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on General Queries related to Interviews. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

I just got on-boarded today at a new job and I wasn't satisfied with the answer from HR about why a voided check was needed. The direct deposit form I filled out had my routing and account numbers, and all that was done with my check was to scan it on a flatbed scanner and immediately hand it back to me.

I originally asked if they could use a deposit slip at the back of my checkbook which has the same account numbers and which I never use, or if they actually needed the check to exploit the magnetic print on the check assuming they'd run it through a proper check scanning device.

Is there some legal aspect to the voided check that communicates some sort of authorization to access my bank account? What's the deal with this procedure? Seems like it wastes a good check for unclear reasons.

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

A physical check is not actually necessary, however many companies do not trust employees not to mess up the routing and account numbers and they also like the verification that they're depositing into an actual, legal bank account. Direct deposit costs your employer for every transaction (depending on how their contract works) so failed deposits have a way of really messing with the accounting systems.

It's most likely that the physical check requested is merely a company policy for these or similar accounting safety issues to prevent mistakes on their end and to ensure that your timely payment does not lead to avoidable costs and delays because someone read a number wrong, left a number out or failed to fill in the proper numbers in the proper boxes.

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community