Passing pointers between setup and loop

General Tech Learning Aids/Tools . 2 years ago

0   2   0   0   0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 5 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Learning Aids/Tools related to General Tech. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Write Your Comments or Explanations to Help Others

Tuteehub forum answer Answers (2)

profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

I'm new to the Arduino world. The last time i was programming microprocessors, was back with the Z80 in assembly language.

I am also teaching myself C++ and seems to be going quite well.

I have decided to write my own 'library' for driving 7 segment LED's. The reason for writing my own, rather then using an existing one is to aid with the learning process. I'm quite pleased to say it works ( it may not be the most efficient code)

The books I have on C++ are great, but i do find sometimes the explanation of concepts seem to get lost.

what I would like to know, how do you go about initialising an object class in setup() and using it in loop()? I have this sneaky suspicion that it involves creating the object on the heap, and passing a pointer to the object over somehow.

I could just initialise it once in loop(), and make my own continuous loop afterwards, but there are other things done between the and of a loop() and the beginning of the next loop() (things like timer interrupts).

I will post the code im using, but not the library unless asked to, as it is quite a few lines.

# include "Leddisplay.h"
void setup() {

byte Digit[9] = { 22, 23 , 24 ,25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 2 };

Leddisplay *pRightDigit = new Leddisplay(Digit);

}

void loop() {

pRightDigit->setDigit(5);
    pRightDigit->displayDigit();

}

^^ Obviously this does not compile ^^

# include "Leddisplay.h"
void setup() {

}

void loop() {

Leddisplay *pRightDigit = new Leddisplay(Digit);

for (;;);   // or do.. while within which has other code to repeat
                // but wont allow anything to be executed between loop() iterations

}

^^ This does, and runs fine, but may not achieve what I want ^^

I'm not sure if I have used the right wording, or even asked the right question. Thank you for any help in advance. Dave

0 views   0 shares
profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

What you have to understand is the concept of scope.

Everything (well, almost everything) in C and C++ is enclosed in { and }. Those define a scope, and everything defined within that scope is available to any other scopes defined within that scope.

You can also assume that the whole sketch is surrounded by { and }. This scope is called the global scope. Anything defined within it is available anywhere in your sketch.

So by defining the object in the global scope it is available everywhere:

# include "Leddisplay.h"

Leddisplay *pRightDigit;

void setup() {
    pRightDigit = new Leddisplay(Digit);
}

void loop() {
}

However the use of new etc is discouraged in low-memory systems. Better is to statically define the object:

# include "Leddisplay.h"

const byte Digit[9] = { 22, 23 , 24 ,25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 2 };
Leddisplay pRightDigit(Digit);

void setup() {
}

void loop() {
    pRightDigit.setDigit(5);
    pRightDigit.displayDigit();
}

Note that, when statically defined like this, things in the constructor aren't guaranteed to be run at the right time. They should be moved into a .begin() function that you then call from setup():

# include "Leddisplay.h"

const byte Digit[9] = { 22, 23 , 24 ,25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 2 };
Leddisplay rightDigit(Digit);

void setup() {
    rightDigit.begin();
}

void loop() {
    rightDigit.setDigit(5);
    rightDigit.displayDigit();
}

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community