Great CEO with horrible management style

Interviews General Queries . 2 years ago

0   2   0   0   0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 5 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on General Queries related to Interviews. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Write Your Comments or Explanations to Help Others

Tuteehub forum answer Answers (2)

profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

I'm a relatively inexperienced HR professional. I've been with my organization for 1 year and have a situation that I feel very positive about, but am unclear about my next steps.

Here is a little history.

Our CEO is a very good person with very poor people/ management skills. He uses "machine-gun" style questioning in meetings, believes everyone should just "grow-a-pair", has somewhat unreasonable expectations and doesn't transfer knowledge without belittling the person for having to ask.

He's been very approachable with me, because I don't respond with any emotion. I've been able to coach him on not talking about other employees with employees, no more yelling, doing PIPs, weekly 1 on 1's, and regular reviews. Things are getting much better. Everybody wants the company to succeed and grow, and they are willing to put the work in for us to get there...

But there is still a sense of overall fear. The employees are afraid that if they make a mistake they will get fired, even though there is NO evidence to support that. There has been only 2 people fired in the last 2 years; 1 for theft and 1 for poor performance; and both were allowed to work until they found another position.

My two main questions are:

1. How do I get the CEO to understand that better training will prevent the slow transfer of knowledge and that softening his approach will get better results from the staff?

2. How do I help the staff in getting past their fear response?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you may provide. Chris

0 views   0 shares
profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

Everybody including the CEO needs to understand that he is not a manager, doesn't want to be a manager and shouldn't be wasting his time managing. The CEO should be a leader (i.e. the person who decides what to do and not how to do it.). It's not to make the CEO the king or to excuse the behavior, but to realize leadership and direction is a rare commodity in most companies. Dont' waste it. Everyone has their roles to play. Let people do what they're good at.

Relative to the size of the company limit the levels of employees the CEO meets with. The level of fear is probably a good indication of those to exclude. The CEO has a lot on his/her mind and can't be expected to feel the same sense of urgency and level of detail on all subjects. Imagine you're trying to negotiate a benefits package for your company, but someone wants to complain about the coffee machine and multiply that by 100 and you have a day in the life of a CEO.

Discourage people from asking the CEO questions. If he can answer it in 30 seconds but it takes you 30 minutes to find the answer elsewhere, go find it elsewhere. Let everyone know it's not about their time it's about the CEO's time and it needs to be rationed. Imagine needing the CEO for the most important question only to wait in line with the 10 other people who are going to ask such inane questions.

If there is confusion over what the CEO meant by a particular statement or any other type of clarification, suggest they bring it to you or someone else close to the CEO and work out some of the details and then report back to everyone.

Arrange more casual times for the CEO to be around with other people that isn't just business. Maybe a monthly lunch or something. I heard one CEO mention that no one ever came into his office with good news. It can wear on a person. Make people aware of it.

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community