Questionable behavior from recruiting agent

Interviews General Queries 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on General Queries related to Interviews. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

I recently had an interview with a large firm for a software engineer role. The interview was organized through a recruitment agency.

The night before the interview the recruitment agent sent me an email outlining what format the interview will most likely take and what kinds of questions in which areas I can expect (including which technical areas). At the time I didn't think much of it as it was more or less what I could have guessed anyway.

After the interview when I spoke to the agent she began asking me some detailed questions about the interview. She wanted to know what kind of technical questions they asked and other things. In my head alarm bells went off and I gave her vague answers.

I am suspecting if I had given her more information she would have passed this on to her next candidate she was sending to this company which would have done two things: reduce the likelihood I would get the job by giving the next candidate more detailed information and a chance to prepare better - and increase the likelihood she would land someone the job (potentially benefiting her company and possibly her if they work on a commission basis).

I have never come across anyone who sent me an email with detailed information about what to expect during the interview and then afterwards ask what was asked in mine.

Is this a new trend in recruitment or is she a rogue recruiter?

Is it ethical considering it isn't fair if you're one of the previous candidates and considering the employer isn't getting the best candidate?

If it is a trend then what would be the best way to deal with someone like this if it happens again?

tl;dr Recruiter asking what was said in interview to help next candidate. Is this acceptable, whats the best way to deal with it?

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

Is this a new trend in recruitment or is she a rogue recruiter?

I had this happen to me as well a few years ago, so I doubt it is a super new thing.

Is it ethical?

Depends.

Obviously a recruiter has an incentive to make sure candidates are the most well prepared. Getting information about what questions are asked can allow them to inform a candidate of general formats and patterns that are being used by the company. As long as they are not directly feeding the specific questions to candidates or information that allows candidates to guess, then what they are doing is probably okay.

If it is a trend then what would be the best way to deal with someone like this if it happens again?

You don't have any obligation to the recruiter to answer anything you don't feel comfortable with. If you feel that revealing information is going to hurt your position, then just be general or be honest about your feelings. I think the same thing applies when a recruiter or company asks your current salary and you reply with your goal so your position is not weakened.

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community