Why is HR asking for proof of motivation for suicide?

Interviews General Queries 2 years ago

0 2 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on General Queries related to Interviews. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (2)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago

Due to a number of deeply distressing events and generally low quality of life (unrelated to job), I recently attempted to commit suicide during work hours, in my workplace.

If you're curious about how, I impulsively attempted to OD on an anti-depressant two hours before the end of the workday. By the end of the day symptoms started to show and my coworkers rushed me to a hospital, where some of them heard me tell the GP what I did.

Word carried to the head of HR, who demanded I tell him why I tried to kill myself. I told him something about having had great potential and ambition, but getting repeatedly thwarted by family and other personal circumstances (which is a good part of the truth).

Now HR is telling me that I'm not going to be fired, but only if they can have "good proof that you're not going to do it again"; how? they're demanding:

1. medical report from the hospital
  2. to prepare a good, convincing emotionally deep speech on how I'm never going to do it again
  3. "proof" that I had potential\ambition and faced obstacles ...etc; basically my stated motivation for suicide.

As I see it, number 2 seems to be the only relevant item to the stated objective of being sure I won't do it again. Numbers 1 and 3 not only require divulging personal information at a seemingly inappropriate level, but the fact they're asking for this at all seems strange and suspicious, not to mention how hard coming up with paper proof for 3 is.

Why is HR asking for these things? Is there a reason I shouldn't concede even if I want to keep my job?

Edit: though I've used the word "speech" in the explanation above, it wasn't meant as a publicspeech, per se. It's just that it was clear that no conversation will be involved, and that I'm supposed to prepare what I'm going to say. Also, the medical report referenced above is the one from the OD incident, it doesn't involve any psychiatric intervention (though it is possible they assume otherwise).

Thanks you all for your help. I feel that I have a much better grip on the situation and what to do now.

profilepic.png
manpreet 2 years ago

The reason the company (HR) is demanding these things is because they're trying to cover their assand ensure they don't get sued by you or, were you try to commit suicide again and succeed, by your heirs. So they're asking for:

1. "medical report from the hospital" → to confirm what you've told them (that is, it was a suicide attempt and not, say, a recreational drug overdose)
  2. "to prepare a good, convincing emotionally deep speech on how I'm never going to do it again" → OK, this is a bit weird (do they really want you to give a public speech?), but obviously they're quite keen for you not to repeat this or have others try the same
  3. "basically my stated motivation for suicide" → in particular, to state in writing that the cause was your parents, personal circumstances (read: anything that's not the company's fault) and not the company, your boss, bullying etc.

If you want to keep your job, you'll need to play along. However, if the company is actually at fault and you are considering suing them, don't offer or sign anything before you've talked to a lawyer.

As an aside, it seems rather heartless for your company to threaten firing and issue demands instead of offering support through what's obviously a tough time for you, but the underlying motivation would be the same.

0 views   0 shares

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community