Record video with HTML input type file capture camcorder from webcam

Mobile Technologies Mobile Computing 2 years ago

0 1 0 0 0 tuteeHUB earn credit +10 pts

5 Star Rating 1 Rating
_x000D_ _x000D_ In my company, i had the task to build a website, where users can record a video, that will be send to the server, some stuff will be done and the user finally gets an email with a link to a microsite with that video embedded. After some research, i came to the conclusion, that it is impossible, at least at the moment, to capture a video with getUserMedia on iPad. So the solution is quite simple, i just use a input-element with accept="video/*;capture=camcorder". So far, so good. As I've read on this page, that it is also possible to capture a video from webcam with this technique, i thought that it is an adequat cross-browser solution. But after some testing, i can just select an already recorded video on desktop browsers. Did I misinterprete that article? Or am I just doing it wrong? Cheers, Mohammer

Posted on 16 Aug 2022, this text provides information on Mobile Computing related to Mobile Technologies. Please note that while accuracy is prioritized, the data presented might not be entirely correct or up-to-date. This information is offered for general knowledge and informational purposes only, and should not be considered as a substitute for professional advice.

Take Quiz To Earn Credits!

Turn Your Knowledge into Earnings.

tuteehub_quiz

Answers (1)

Post Answer
profilepic.png
manpreet Tuteehub forum best answer Best Answer 2 years ago
_x000D_ In short you ended up using HTML Media Capture Standard which works by overloading the element and adding new values for the accept parameter. The great thing about it is that it works great on most mobile browsers (except for recording only the mic on iOS). Support is implemented at least in: Safari and Chrome on iOS 6+ Internet and Chrome on Android 3+ Which pretty much covers anyone, however, depending on the device, you will end up with .mp4 (Android), .mov (iOS) and .3gp files. The not so great thing about it is that it defaults to a plain old file selector when used on a desktop OS instead of opening Photo Booth for example. Surprisingly the standard's draft included an image of how video capturing through some sort of Photo Booth app would look on a desktop: Which is why on the desktop a Flash video recording client + media server is the only solution that works well across browsers and platforms. There are also commercial solutions including HDFVR (HTML Media Capture + Flash) and Pipe which does a lot more including the conversion to .mp4, pushing to your S3/FTP and webhooks.

No matter what stage you're at in your education or career, TuteeHub will help you reach the next level that you're aiming for. Simply,Choose a subject/topic and get started in self-paced practice sessions to improve your knowledge and scores.

Important Mobile Technologies Links

tuteehub community

Join Our Community Today

Ready to take your education and career to the next level? Register today and join our growing community of learners and professionals.

tuteehub community